Interview with an Indoor Air Quality Instructor: IAQ Mold Training

Biohazard sign
Great image, thank you to Pedrik

Hello, this post will focus on the educational side of Mold training.  Specifcally, training for Mold Assessors and Mold technicians of the Indoor Air Quality field.  


We asked Doug Brown, MS, an Instructor at Gebco Associates of Ft. Worth Texas, about his work.  Doug has an extensive background in the Indoor Air Quality profession.  His career has included both field work and lab work, so you really can’t ask for a more qualified instructor.   Gebco Associates is an OSHA certified and nationally recognized training facility in the DFW area since 1987.  Without further delay, let’s get started. 


Moldlab asks:

1.  What is the first question you always get asked by students?

Doug answers:

“When is class over?”

2.  What is the most common misperception your students have about mold?

Doug answers:

The most common misconception is that the Texas Mold Assessment and Remediation Rules do not address mold related activities in residences.

3.  What is the difference between licensed and certified in the mold industry?

Doug answers:

State law requires those who work in mold related activities (unless they fall under exceptions and exemptions) to be licensed.  To be licensed you must take a TDSHS approved course ,  pass a state exam and satisfy other requirements.  Workers are registered, they don’t have to take a state exam.



***Looking for a HUB certified Mold Laboratory?  click here for a try us free coupon!***



4.  As an instructor, what do you recommend students do after completing a course to stay current on new techniques and information?

Doug answers:

Visit the TDSHS, EPA and OSHA websites periodically.

5.  I notice a lot of acronyms like IEQ, CIAQP, CIEC, IH, CIH etc.  What do they mean, is there a hierarchy of training?  Do you need more than one, is one like another etc.

Doug answers:

CIH means Certified Industrial Hygienist, but regardless of your credentials you have to take certain TDSHS approved courses to be licensed to perform mold related activities (unless they fall under exceptions and exemptions).  The following are acronyms of licenses available from TDSHS; MAT mold assessment technician, MAC (mold assessment consultant) and for cleaning and removing mold MRC (mold remediation contractor).


Indoor Air Quality training
Mold training classroom

6.  What do you like best about teaching? 

Doug answers:

Hearing new questions in each class.


7.  When selecting a training school what credentials should students look for?

Doug answers: 

Make sure they are accredited by TDSHS (list found on website), found out how long the training provider has been in business and ask if they will cancel class if only one student shows up.



Awesome, thanks Doug.  

Gebco offers classes both online and in person at their Dallas / Ft. Worth office.  Their curriculum includes not only mold, but asbestos, lead, OSHA and HAZWOPER certifications.  If you are interested in taking a course please give them a call at (817) 268-4006.


Did you find this Q&A informative?  If so you might want to check out: 

                                                               1).  Interview with a Mold Remediator

                                                              2).  Interview about VOCs with an IAQ expert

                                                              3).  Interview with a Mold Assessment Consultant




Key words:  IAQ training, GEBCO, mold school, Moldlab blog, mold blog, Mold training, Mold certifications, mold training class, Dallas mold training


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

fifteen − seven =


Stay Updated…

Connect With Us